Friday, February 6, 2015

September 2

I have a few great stories to tell this week.
First!  After writing home last week Elder Sperry and I decided to grab the football and take it to this big, open, school courtyard (of sand, of course) to throw around.  Well it didn't take long for some younger kids who were playing soccer to watch us intently, until we threw the ball to them and invited them to come play with us.  So we organized a match of 6x6 and played African American Football.  It was hilarious.  The kids were from 5 to maybe 14 years old.  You'd think they been playing ball for years.  They learned how to throw and catch so fast, it was unreal.  I think I'm gonna come back in a few years and recruit a bunch of kids to start up a team to bring back to the States.  We're going to rock, and all our plays will be in Munukutuba.  They are natural athletes.  It was just really fun, and they all had a blast learning "Hike!" and "blue 42! blue 42!" 
On Tuesday one of our recent converts compared Jospeh Smith to 2Pac (you know, because he was martyred LOLOLOL).  When we left our second rendezvous our friend gave us some peanuts, and as I was about to dig into my second little bag I noticed out of the corner of my eye a man sitting in the middle of a trash pile, just totally...helpless.  Well, I turned aroud and walked back to give him my sack of peanuts, and when I got closer he looked up through the cloud of flies that was agitated by my footsteps and had the most relieved look on his face...he gave me a crooked smile and nodded his head in thanks.  It was probably the most he'd eaten in a while...I don't ever have the opportunity to help the homeless because we're not allowed to give out money to people, but I'm glad the Spirit gave me an opportunity to be charitable, and I'm more glad that I took it.  I don't know if I'll ever get that again, but the feeling that took hold of my heart was worth it.  I know that God cares about ALL His children and that He suffers when we do.  I can't imagine how much it hurts Him to see so many of us go through the difficulties we do, but given His eternel perspective I imagine it's a little easier than we think.  Anyway. 
Elder Johnston gave us a lesson on conversion on Wednesday during district meeting with the Foucks elders.  It was great - you can only help your investigators to be as converted as you are!  Afterwards we met up with a guy who'd left the church because he felt "uncomfortable," but he still believes that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet.  Well we took his unfounded excuse and poured out love on him until he felt comfortable again.  I'm excited to go back to teach him again, considering he forgot to come to church :P
One of our recent converts, Helena, has an older sister who told us on Thursday that after reading Mosiah 3-5 she's convinced that she wants to be baptized!  So that was really great.  Another investigator told us the same thing later that day, but for different reasons.  He wants to be baptized so he can get married haha, but it's ok.  It's a good start :)
 I witnessed some great charity when these guys driving a truck pulled over to offer this super old maman a ride home.  I wish I could do that, but I don't have a truck...or a bike with pegs...though that would be hilarious to drive a old maman on pegs through an African quartier haha.
We were almost at the church when this guy stopped us to ask about our message, and he seemed so genuine until he asked me if he could give me a new dimension to who the Savior was.  I was intrigued, though suspicious.  My suspicions were confirmed when he claimed that his gift of the Spirit was to cast out devils, specifically those who have mermaid devils in them.  Mermaid devils.  I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing.  It took him about 30 minutes and one breath to tell us his life story about how he saw Jesus twice and was called to be the mermaid prophet.  It was a golden moment, but we were really late for English class so we had to cut him off while he was telling us about how he can walk into any church and tell everyone what their problems are and how they have demons in them.  So we left the mermaid prophet to attend English class, which ended up being an acitivity put on by the Mpaka branch where we were offered a delicious sandwich and passion Fanta.  So good.
We had a great turn out on Sunday, though we were still missing some of our investigators for whatever reason.  None of the people we wanted to see after church came, but that worked out for us because we had a meeting with Paco, our branch mission leader, and Jhostavie.  It took them a while to come though because they were setting up dates with some of the sisters after church.  It was hilarious.  Then we spent half the meeting answering their questions about dates and how you're supposed to tell a girl you have feelings for them and everything.  It was hilarious.  The good news is that we also spent a lot of time talking about the needs of our investigators and recent converts, so don't worry.  I'm still working hard.  Also, a brother gave a talk that I loved about honesty.  He said, "If it's not true, don't say it.  if it's not pure, don't think it.  And if it's not righteous, don't do it."  Great motto for life.
The highlight of our week was yesterday, and the reason I didn't write home is because I spent 5 hours with a member of the Seventy, Elder Hamilton, who blew my mind from Africa to Asia.  He talked with Elders Masse, Johnston, and myself about the blessing and responsability of being leaders, and I loved what he said about how there's a difference in telling people you love them and showing your love for them.  I had been praying about what questions I should ask if the occasion presented itself, and I was determined to ask how we can light the fire of faith in our investigators and others to help them overcome obstacles that keep them from being baptized or coming to church.  I never got to ask the question, but never needed to! During the conference he addressed all the problems we were having in our sectors by telling us about how we need to help people climb the stairs of repentance by first helping them feel the desire, which will lead them to act in faith, which will then help them receive a witness of the truth and bring them to repent.  The whole conference was so inspiring.  He talked about how the answer to every problem in the world is found in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I loved chatting with him, and I loved the taco salad we had for dinner and cheesecake for dessert.  I honestly have so much to say about everything I learned from that day, but time is lacking.  Elder Sperry and I are becoming better and better friends and our team is getting stronger every week.  I love it. 

I love you!  I hope you have an incredible week.
Elder Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment