Monday, August 25, 2014

August 25

As you might've guessed, we had another great week.  Some funny stories to add! 
On Tuesday we were walking through the quartier when these 3 guys stop and they're like, "Hey man yo wussup bro"  and we say, "Oh hey not much!  Woah, nice Manchester United jersey!"  We get back - "hehehe yeeaahhh..." from all three of them.  So I'm like, "You a big Wayne Rooney fan?"  "Hehee yeaah yeaahh"  "Well that's great, where are you all headed?"  "Hehehehe yeaahhhhh...." "Well, see ya later!" "Yeeaahhh hehe yeaahhh"" It was the funniest thing...kinda hard to explain by email haha.  I'll have to recount that one when I get back.  Anyway, an instant classic between Elder Sperry and myself. "yeaahhh hehe..."
Then I saw a guy playing harmonica for the first time in 20 months.
On Wednesday we had district meeting with the Mpaka elders again, and I got to share a little message in honor of Elder Tweneboah's last day in Pointe-Noire.  He was really sad...he cried, I teared up (I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've been really good about not crying unreasonbly recently), and everyone was emotional to some extent.  Anyway, we took him to the airport after and said goodbye.  I still had Sister Bailey's delicious, pink rice krispies on my breath.  So...so good.  Paula Dean would've been proud of the butter content.
We went straight to Darcyne's new house, which is way nice, but a little further away than before.  Ok a lot further.  But still accessible!  They had prepared us a surprise plate of meats and cheeses to snack on, and then gave us a little sucker on the way out.  I just love that family.  Laura and Giorgio's dad came yesterday, so we might get to meet him on Wednesday.  Anyway, Darcyne is really happy to be in her own house away from the temptation and responsability of taking care of 10 other people in her parcelle from before.  She seems a lot more happy, anyway.  Thank goodness for the Gospel :)
We met these two new guys on Wednesday evening, Kelly and Desi, and they seem way nice.  I'll let you know the suite !
On Thursday, Van asked us to meet him impromptu to ask for advice about his job.  We're not really supposed to give personal advice, but because it happens so often (people trust the missionaries here more than their parents sometimes) I've learned how to veil an answer to their question by telling them to figure it out themselves through prayer and paying attention to the Spirit, fasting if necessary.  Funnily enough, they are always convinced that we told them what to do when in reality they end up answering themselves.  So when they're like, "Elders thank you so much for telling me what to do!" we just refer them to God and tell them to thank Him instead, because in the end He's the one doing all the talking!  You can have the same experience, you know!  If you've ever been stuck between left and right, maybe all you have to do is ask God which road to take and listen carefully for a response.  Don't just hang up the phone when you say "amen", but listen to heart...when He's talking to you!  Yes, like the song.  Anyway.  Van was satisfied with our answer and figured it out.  On his own!
We had an interesting Friday.  After our first rendez-vous fell through, we walked all the way to our second meeting so we could try and discover any new shortcuts.  It worked!  We found this cool road that we'll probably never take again, but it was worth the walk.  Then we walked all the way back to KM4, walked all the way to Malala only to be ratéd, and finally caught a bus to Mayinga to see Darcyne again.  On the bus ride up I got to chat in kikongo with the passengers, and gave away a ton of brochures amidst people cracking up over the fact that a mundele can speak their language.  The controller even gave me a 100 CFA discount! :)  On the way back, we had another chat with the other 20 people in the bus, pulled out scriptures, gave out brochures, said a few words in munukutuba, got everyone to laugh, and made a delicious shmorgishborg to start our fast.  We walked around 6.5 miles that day. 
Saturday was awesome.  We had planned a huge Helping Hands activity at the beach, but the plan was to walk there from the church.  We didn't know just how far it was, and since everyone walks suuuppeerrr slow, we ended up burning everyone to the beach.  No one was there, so we decided to look for the people who'd went ahead in the Bailey's car (mostly just kids) and kept walking down the beach.  For the next 45 minutes.  It was awful.  My left hip is officially out of service from having walked on a sloped sandy beach for nearly an hour.  It was totally worth it though - we found 2 huge onions washed in from the tide, a tiny squid, a weird fish with shiny skin, and lots of cool shells.  When we did meet up with everyone (there were tons of people there!!!), we each got a trash bag and started picking up.  Except me - I helped the Baileys translate for this guy who wanted to sell them nativity scenes from Niger.  Elder Bailey comes over and he's like, this guy looks familiar.  Well, turns out it was THE SAME GUY who sold them a nativity scene in COTE D'IVOIRE! 3 YEARS AGO!  It was incredible!  And he still tried selling them another one!  Hilarious.  Then these a nice Chinese couple introduced themselves to us, asking where we were from.  I got to give my first brochure to a Chinese guy, even though he told us they weren't Christian.  It's ok.  Still counts! :)  During this whole time, my companion and I were fasting for one of our investigators.  Imagine our disappointment when they broke out the sandwiches and drinks.  We just held onto ours for dinner.  After the service project we went back home, taught Paco's neighbor Godthanks (I know), and crashed back at the apartment for studies.  We were whipped beyond tired.  It was hard to stay awake as I finished reading the Old Testament in Munukutuba, but I finally got that out of the way!  On to the New Testament...
We had a great Sunday.  There were 20 investigators at church, and 5 of them were new faces.  Sooo many people want to learn about the Gospel, it's a huge blessing to be overwhelmed with investigators.  We got to sit down with one of them after church, and walked over to Dieu-Merci's house to ask permission from his mom to keep teaching him because he's only 14.  She was more than happy to allow us to keep seeing him.  What a relief!  He's easily been one of our best amis.  What a funny kid.  He even makes jokes about his own name.  He says it's because when his mom gave birth she was praying that it was a boy because she had already had 5 girls.  Then he comes out and says, "ohh Dieu merci!!"  So...thus the name. 
That's about all the news I have for this week...I'm starting transfer number 14, leaving me with a little less than 4 months until the end of my mission.  It's...scary, to say the least.  Especially if I leave and go to a new sector, because that always makes the time go by even faster.  Meh.  We'll see.  Elder Masse and Gelinas go home in 6 weeks.  I can't imagine being in their shoes!!!  It'll happen soon enough I guess.  Not looking forward to it!  Maybe I'll get ebola and they'll just send me to France to finish my mission haha.
Anyway, I love you all, I pray for you all, and I can't wait to see you all! :)

Have an amazing week!!!

Elder Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment