Friday, February 6, 2015

September 29

What a week.
Last Monday, after writing home, we got ready to have FHE at our friend Doretta and Remy Kizimbou's house for fried fish, sakasaka and rice, where they also invited a friend of theirs to come participate.  He loved it, so hopefully we'll be able to keep seeing him!  We also had some new friends in the apartment, though they weren't exactly invited.  We set two mouse traps up in the kitchen, and went 2 for 2 the next morning.  It was...awful haha, I couldn't help but feel bad for the poor little guys.  I'd rather just bag them up and zip em over the gate into the giant trash pile in front of the house without worrying about where the landed. 
Anyway, we had to split so Elder Johnston could interview some of our baptismal candidates, Chrystalle and Maman Jeannette.  I went out with Elder Bybee and Hughe, our recent convert, to teach some of the same people that I saw the last time I went out with Elder Johnston.  We also sat down with this 76 year old man who, while you're talking to him, falls asleep nodding.  It was sooo funny.  The best part is that he snaps back up with something to say in response to your question.  I don't know how he does it.  Years of practice probably.  We had a few minutes on our way to Parfait's, so Elder Bybee took me to this beautiful lake that borders a primate reserve set up by Jane Goodall herself.  Unfortunately there were some kids swimming (naked of couse) or I would've taken some pictures.  Imagine this big tropical tree line sloping up and overhanging flat water (except for where the naked kids were swimming - don't imagine that).  On our way back to meet with the other missionaries I saw a guy wearing a Seattle Sounders shirt with Subway on the back.  Dual nostalgia.  It's been a while since I "ate fresh."
I sat down during the week and wrote out a Munukutuba version of "I am a Child of God" and "Love One Another," had them reviewed by a couple different members, and apparently they're good!  That was really fun.  Now I just need to work on others, but I'll probably just do one verse per hymn.
On Wednesday Elder Sperry and I were back together for a while.  Long enough to see Darcyne, Hermeland, do our weekly planning and then see Euraste before running out to Fond Tie-Tie to meet up with Elder Masse and his Congolese companion Elder Nkuklu.  We saw a big convoy of what I estimated to be 40 police trucks come screaming down the road, but they went around this round about and came back on the other side of the street and we counted - 24 haha.  I have a problem with exaggerating I guess.  Anyway, Masse and I walked back to the apartment in Mpaka and got to chat for a while about him going home next Friday among other things.  I can't believe it's his last week already!!!  Elder Ralison made this incredible chicken curry in rice, and then Elder Tripp completed the experience with brownies.  It was a great night, except for one thing.  Well, there happened to be a giant funeral procession right in front of our house.  They played music so loud ALL night.  Literally until 6 in the morning when I was finally able to take the pillow off my face and put it on the back of my head, right in time for the alarm to go off.  By some miracle, God granted us the strength to get up and get goin. 
I realized during the day that it was the first time I've actually sat down and taught with Elder Masse since I left Bonaberi a year ago. The last time we were together in Mpaka I was only there to do a baptismal interview.  Needless to say, we had a blast actually teaching together.  It was awesome to see how much the last year's worth of experience had worked on him.  He is a great teacher and really, truly loves the people he's teaching.  It was nice to be able to sit back and let him drive the bus.  It's been a while since I was in a backseat situation, and it was nice.  Being a senior missionary really weighs on you...there's a lot of pressure to teach and speak and act perfectly, so it was nice to be with someone who's been on his mission for longer.  Masse's been a great example to the this whole zone in how hard he's been working until the last minute.  Sometimes missionaries get lazy or they just stop caring because they're so close to going home anyway.  He's been diligent and working super hard this whole time.  I hope I can emmulate his example!  The man I was there to interview was an 64 year old man who was very wise and very kind.  I loved sitting down with him for the time that I was there.  

I still can't get over the fact that someone 3 years older than me would look to me for spiritual advice and take every word I say for inspiration.  People all throughout the world are doing that with the missionaries.  Somehow though, I'm confident in what I say and know I'm on an errand for the Lord and that it's not necessarily MY counsel or advice I'm giving people, but His.  It's a curious thing, to be strictly alligned with His will.  There's a sort of spiritual strength that drawns from that.  I can't imagine how Christ felt, being perfectly obedient.  EVERYTHING He did was God's will.  It's no wonder he could say, "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father!"  They were perfectly united.  If only every missionary was like that !!  I suppose I should start with myself !
Anyway,  we accompanied Francois (the guy I interviewed) to the church for his interview avec President Monga, and then changed back into our normal companionships to see Dorcia and then our new English speaking friend Maleke.  When we went home, we started closing out our day when the Baileys came back.  We went downstairs to see how everything went at the church, and found President and Sister Monga with them.  They invited us in to dinner (chinese chicken salad - delicious on all accounts), and then I had my interview with President.  It was awesome, as always.  He talked about how we need to keep our eye single to the glory of God.  He gave me some insights to the upcoming transfer, which I'll get to later :)  All in all, it was really great just to be able to talk with him for a few minutes one on one.
We had a weird start to our day on Friday, when we were ratéd multiple times one after the other, but we were able to double check with Jeannette and Chrystalle and make sure they were both ready for their baptism, which went as smooth as butter!  Saturday was awesome.  We saw Charly, our less-active friend for a couple minutes before heading over to the church to help the Baileys get ready for our baptism of 14 people!  On our way, we had to go over this little foot bridge that we cross all the time.  This time, however, there was a group of kids that had barred the route for some reason and were demanding a toll.  We didn't have any money on us, but when we got closer to the bridge there were these two really old mamans standing outside a house, and one of them called out to me, "Yina me buta na Chicago!" which means, "He who was born in Chicago!" It was an old maman that I'd met outside the Beri's parcelle a week or so ago and chatted with in kikongo for a while, and she just loved it.  It just so happened that she was there in front of the bridge, so we went over and said hi to her and her friend, who of course was surprised to hear a mundele speak kikongo, and so they just laughed and laughed and asked where we were going (people ALWAYS ask that).  We explained that we were going across the bridge but we didn't have any money, so they both started yelling at the kids to let us pass.  It was awesome.  Kikongo for the win!

All four branches got together to welcome people into their respective congregations, and despite the amount of people there it went super well.  Paco was directing the whole thing, and all the baptisms went well, no problems.  Maman Jeannette was beaming the whole time, and got up afterwards to testify in front of everyone her thanks to God for her special day.  It was really sweet.  I was a proud, in a good way.  Interestingly enough, there's two words in French for "pride," one is good and the other is bad.  It's a lot easier for me to say, "j'étais fier" and not have to worry about people thinking other things.  Anyway.  French is great.  

I got to teach English class again afterwards, but our friend Nani didn't come so instead of teaching her we went into the kitchen and kicked out the Relief Society and did the dishes for them.  They still don't believe white people know how to clean anything haha, so it took some convincing amidst "Oh no no no, you'll hurt yourself!" and "You'll get dirty!" but eventually we got to do some service.   
              
Yesterday was pronounced "ville morte," or "dead city" because of local elections.  That means there was no circulation except authorized governmental vehicules, and no churches were allowed to hold reunions.  President Monga in an attempt to protect us from being mistaken as rebels who are trying to convince the people not to vote by going around house to house etc., told us not to go out on Sunday.  So...Elder Sperry and I got together with the Baileys for breakfast (buttermilk pancakes, sausage links, and potatoes made me feel like I was at Denny's), and then we had our own little Sacrament meeting, followed by a 5 minute talk each.  We talked about virtue, patience, the Atonement, among other things.  I cried during my talk on the Atonement, if you can imagine.  Basically from start to finish.  But that's normal.  Alas, the rest of the day was as follows: write scholarship essays for 2 hours, make a tie, make bread, read the Miracle of Forgiveness and the Bible, practice piano, eat leftovers for dinner just to pass the time (neither of us were even hungry, we were just incredibly bored), played Guesstures, read some more Miracle of Forgiveness, played some more piano, and finally wrote in my journal.  It was the longest day of my life, but it was kindof nice at the same time.  What will I do in 3 months when I don't have ties to make or bread to make...
So about transfers!  We got letters this morning.  Nothing is happening except Elder Naughton going to Gabon and being replaced by Elder Nkulu.  That means that President is closing an entire Mpaka sector and leaving that whole, huge apartment to just two missionaries.  It will be nuts.  I don't know how it will work or what they're going to do, but I'm sure it will work because hey, God said so :)  Otherwise, I'm super stoked to stay with Elder Sperry for a third transfer.  I got to spend 3 with my trainer, it's only fair I get 3 with my trainee!  We just get along like two peas in a pod, so it makes everything really easy.  He's grown a ton in the last two months, and I'm excited to watch him grow even more (even though he can only really grow in French, because he's basically got all of the Christ-like attributes down already).  I love my companion.  I wouldn't be mad if I just finished my mission here with him.  Elder Masse leaves us on Friday, along with Elder Gelinas.  Unbelievable.  I don't have enough things to say about those two.  I've been companions with both, I've loved both, I will miss both.  The whole mission will.  If you see either of them, give em a hug for me, will you?  Though I know I'm pretty much right behind...
  
Here we go then, my 9th transfer in Pointe-Noire, 6th in the Aeroport sector, and going home next transfer.  That's surreal. I don't think President will send me to finish in Yaoundé, so I'm sad I will have never worked there, but I'm grateful for the time I've had here and for all the people I've met.  I just need to pretend I have an eternity left here and then it will be ok :)
Love you all, I pray for you all, I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Elder Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment