Monday, August 25, 2014

August 11

Well, it's been an incredible week.  As always.

We got to go to the beach last Monday, and right when we got there to start playing volleyball a guy comes up and he's like, "Yeah hi, my car is on the beach like a hundred yards that way and I was hoping you could help me pull it back up here?"  So we're thinking alright, 10 minutes and we'll be back on the court.  We start driving, and once we're on the beach (inching forward, mind you), we can't even see the guy's car.  So we ask again, "Oh it's just right up there!"  20 minutes later we are just barely coming up on the car.  He was probably 3 miles out, stuck in the sand.  His friend had suffered a serious laceration from trying to pull out the car himself.  We attached it to Elder Bailey's truck with a piece of plastic, it seemed, and moved the car about 10 feet before we all realized there was no way it was going to work.  We had to leave the guy, but at least he was in a better place.  By the time we got back it'd been probably an hour and a half.  We went straight to the beach and played some soccer with random people who were walking by.  We also enjoyed the best lemon bars and chocolate cake you've never had.

On Tuesday morning I found out from Elder Bailey that President had never heard anything about us watching Disney videos and was totally against it!  I was seriously misled, but at least now we know.  It was fun while it lasted...

Later that day we were walking down the street when a bus driver sees us and shouts "I love you!" in the funniest accent ever.  We died laughing.  We met one of our recent convert's mom and introduced her to the church - she was thrilled, but she's leaving to Angola this week so we left her some information on the churches over there.  So cool.  

I'm trying to keep this short because we're at the Bailey's, but ummm on Wednesday we had district meeting, and then I stayed in the apartment with Elder Bybee while Elder Johnston went with Elder Sperry to do Fall's interview.  The electrician and plumber were both there, and they both said they'd be 10 minutes, but if you know Africans you won't be surprised when I say that 2 hours later they were finally packing up to leave.  Elder Bybee and I passed the time catching up and getting to know each other better.  He's an awesome kid, and turns out we like a lot of the same things.  Finally, we got to leave and see some people they've been teaching.  Elder Bybee's French is awesome for only having been out for a couple transfers.  He speaks well and understands just about everything.  It made teaching really easy.  We went out to the outskirts of town so I could interview two of their candidates, and when we got there it was way late.  The walk was super pretty - they live on this big hill that overlooks the ocean.  Unfortunately, by the time we turned around to walk back down it was already night, so I couldn't really see anything.  We decided that I would just stay the night instead of meeting back with the other elders like we were planning on.  I ended up making chili for everyone (an Elder Garland special, if I do say so myself - and I do) and had about the worst night's sleep ever.  Elder Johnston doesn't sleep with a fan, so it was hot.  To make it less hot they open the windows, which let in mosquitos and makes every plane that flies overhead sound like it's going to slam into the building.  The church bells behind the apartment go off every 15 minutes.  So.  You get the idea.

I did get to call a recent convert of mine from Douala, who is doing great.  Two of her sons have since been baptized, and a third son has a date in a week.  I was so proud, and thankful for the missionaries over there.  There is a very special love that missionaries have for their converts...it's hard to explain, but it's...tangible, I don't know.  

It was nice to be back in my sector with Elder Sperry, my son.  We're getting along famously.  He had a great day, no ratez-vous or anything.  The next day was even more full of surprises.  One of our recent converts cancelled on us first thing in the morning, so we got to see a new maman we've been teaching.  Fall wasn't picking up that morning, but texted us as we were on our way to his house to see if he'd be there, so that worked out nicely.  He said that he wanted to be baptized the next day, Saturday, because his birthday was on Sunday and he wanted to be confirmed on his birthday.  Because his baptismal interview went so well, we agreed!  So we called everyone we needed to call so there were people at the baptism.  Darcyne's family isn't leaving as soon as we thought they were, so we got to see them for a while before heading out to Tchimbamba.  Our first contact rendezvous cancelled on us, but as we were walking a younger guy wanted to sit down with us, so that was surprise number 3.  We got to see Lovely before heading out to Fond Tie-Tie to walk to the Elders' apartment to do exchanges again.

It was nice to be back in Mpaka - it still smells like Christmas every time I walk in there haha.  Elder Tripp made us this great white sauce pasta thing while Massé and I caught up like old chums.  He's just great.  It was nice to talk about people we used to teach and the other missionaries I haven't met.  Since the air conditioner wasn't working in Massé's room we decided to throw all our mattresses in the ice box room and slept together.  Elder Ralison told us about the Kinshasa mission - it's very much not like ours haha.  I'm glad I am where I am.  Good, obedient Elders.  

Elder Ralison showed me how to make real, boulangerie bread the next morning, so that was awesome.  He is such a bag full of surprises himself.  I went out with Massé to show people he didn't know were in his sector.  We walked a ton, which is normal, but it was nice.  I got to see Chaldrey, one of my recent converts, and she's doing awesome.  I guess the missionaries are teaching her sisters now as well, so that's awesome.  Eventually I got to do an interview for Célestin, and awesome 53 year old man who's had so many experiences leading to his discovery of the Church.  I had an amazing time sharing with him, and I'm excited to see him baptized.  We went back to the church to be on time for Fall's baptism, but he didn't even come until half an hour after it was supposed to start. *sigh* at least he came haha.  He brought two friends, and honored me with the chance to baptize him, and confirm him the next day.  I'll never get over that...like, who am I to do that for you?!  Alas.  Amazing.  I taught English class, which is always a lot of fun, and got a coordonnée out of it.  But not for us :( but it's ok.  

Sunday was smooth.  Lots of people at church, and a special primary program for sacrament.  I had a very picturesque scene that I will never forget as I was sitting off to the side of the congregation between Laura (Darcyne's 9 year old daughter) and the Relief Society President's 4 year old, helping them sing "I Am A Child Of God" with the rest of the assembly.  As the first verse was underway, my eyes were drawn up to look into the crowd.  In the front row, a 25 year old brother was helping the same Relief Society President's other laughing baby girl stand on her feet as he sat, and as he looked down on her, eyebrows arched, had the biggest smile on his already enormous face.  Towards the back row sat Maya, and as they sang "des parents si gentils..." (parents so kind), Maya sang with a smile to her mom.  Other people were just sitting there, eyes and expressions so full of joy.  The happiness in the atmosphere was so thick you could've cut a slice right out of the air, it was so completely enveloping.  In that moment there was nowhere else I would've rather been in the whole world.  I wish for your owns sakes that you will have a similar experience some day.  Or maybe you've already had that happen to you - I would love to hear about it!  

After church and meetings and whatnot I called the Tignyemb family in Douala just to hear each of their 7 voices for at least a minute a piece.  It was fantastic. I love them all so much.  I keep praying that I'll make it back to Yaoundé or Douala some day but...I'm starting to realize that God will go ahead and send me wherever He needs me, regardless of my own will.  We gave one of the loaves of bread that I made to the Baileys, then we made a great sweet and sour chicken and I baked the rest of the cookies.  We're in Africa, but not of Africa.

I wish I had more time to explain every detail of my crazy life here.  Some day you'll have the opportunity to sit down with me and get it all - emotion in the voice (and eyes, ahem...), hand gestures, the whole lot.  Story time with Elder Garland is no small event haha.  Anyway, I love you, I'm praying for you.

Elder Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment