Monday, October 7, 2013

October 7th


Obusiatchay everyone !
This week was much, much more productive than the last, considering I actually left the apartment every day!  I went from sitting, laying, or sleeping around for the majority of the day to going on splits with Elder Thibault in his sector for a straight 8 hours.  It was awesome.  The change of pace is unlike any other.  I tried imaging coming home and having nothing to do for as long as I was sick and it just hurt my brain.  If I’m not constantly doing something I’ll get so angsty.
Elder Thibault is great to work with.  A hard worker, and always quick to laugh or make an unfortunate situation funny. For example, right before our first rendez-vous together I took out my pen to write something in my planner, and I saw that the tip of the pen was missing.  Then, five minutes later, Elder Thibault noticed that my pen had proceeded to explode all over my shirt right as our friend showed up.  I spent the next long time in the bathroom trying to scrub my shirt and only made it worse, which at first was frustrating, but with the help of my companion I saw the humor in it and just shrugged it off. For the rest of the day.  I got a huge bag of cinnamon Teddy Grahams from one investigator because they knew I was sick before.  It was such a blessing.  Anyway, we just had an awesome day together despite my ruined shirt. 
On Thursday Elder Massé and I finally had a real day together, which was fantastic and happened to be his year mark in the mission.  We got fed some delicious peanut sauce with fish and starchy plantains, got to wash out tons of water bottles for a family of members, and after dinner split an excellent white cake with chocolate pudding layers that the Gaileys made for us.
Friday was just as marvelous as the day before.  We decided to take a random route to get to an investigator’s house and were stopped by some guy who met the missionaries three years ago but wants to learn again.  Later, we were stopped by another baptist pastor who wants to “talk” with us.  In my experience with “talking” with pastors, that always goes…not so well.  You never know though! 
We learned that one of our investigator’s grandpas is the prince that owns that one library that I went to and met the Austrian lady, so maybe I’ll have a hook up to a Douala/French book! In the meantime, one of our members who studied in Russia let me borrow a Russian/French book, so that’s been keeping me busy the last couple days.  Xopowo !
I thought I should mention that the guy surveying all the computers in here just put on Enya for everyone and it’s absolutely ear-candy.
We had an awesome Saturday as well.  It’s just been a week of successive awesomes and wonderfuls.  After a couple lessons and seeing a Blackhawks jersey on some motorcycle driver we went off to the Gaileys to watch the Saturday morning session of General Conference which I LOVED.  Elder Dubé and Bednar and Uchtdorf were my favorites, although all the talks were great.  I’ve never loved Conference so much.  I’m a little obssessed. 
Sunday was normal.  Great day at church, made cookies and went back to the Gaileys for the Priesthood session where Elder Uchtdorf lit it up again.  He is on fire.  I love that man. 
Anyway, that’s about all that happened that was extra special this week.  There are so many things that I leave out because it would take about 29 pages to write.  Each individual with whom we work has their own stories, problems, successes and failures that they share with us nearly every day, and it’s such a honor to be a major part of their lives.  They lean on us in times of need, and we need to be ready and worthy at any second to be able to support them.  I haven’t experienced this kind of support system anywhere else, and maybe that’s just because I never spent so much time and effort in any other organization, but all I can say is that no matter who you are or where you are, there is always a Latter-Day Saint who is willing to care for you, whether that be personally or by phone or whatever means.  The fact of the matter is that we are one big family, with open arms towards all those who are not yet of our faith.  At least, in principle.  I would encourage all members to be a friend in need especially to those who are not members.  They need to see that the pure love of Christ is not reserved only for those who believe, but for all of God’s children!  Be that shining light that your neighbors need and maybe they will want to know more about how they can harvest the light that is already in them!
Anyway, I love you all.  I can’t wait for Halloween.  Also it’s my birthday tomorrow and don’t tell anyone but that makes me the oldest white missionary out here (as soon as Elder Graham goes home in less than a month) sooo Grandpa Garland out here, doin his best, cane in hand. 
Have a fantastic week!
Elder Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment