Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28th


Dimenini everyone ?!
Oh my goodness what an awesome week.  We’ve been having a blast working with Elder VanAusdal as he waits for his visa to come.  You know how it works here, they tell you it will come on the 10th and it doesn’t get there till next month.  So in the meantime, we’re just working hard as a thrio. 
I developed this pretty awful cold/cough that’s been with me for the last 5 or 6 days or so.  I don’t know how that works.  I work in 90-100 degree weather every day and I get a cold.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe I got really sweaty one day and came back into the air conditioned apartment (which really means that only our bedrooms are air conditioned, otherwise we’re sweaty cooks in the kitchen, but we can’t open the window or the awesome breeze will blow all our vegetable scraps and wrappers out of the garbage and make a mess). ANYway, it’s bothersome but I’m dealing with it.  Headaches aplenty.
We went home after Cyber and I made 160 cookies, so 32 per person.  Elder Thibault called me the cookie monster because I rationed them out so everyone gets an even share.  I was just upset because last time I only got like 5. So, cookie monster it is.
On Tuesday we talked with one of our recent convert families who are all under the age of like 25.  They’re the best.  They told us about how if you don’t do your homework the teacher makes you walk around the courtyard (full of broken glass and rocks) on your knees, or they whip you with a stick or any number of corporal punishments.  It’s ridiculous, but it makes America look insane.
Also, is there a word for someone who easily gets taken advantage of? Especially in the case of girls taking advantage of nice guys?  They call that mbutuku, but I couldn’t think of a word for it in English.
We had another great district meeting with the Gaileys and Sister Gailey shared a lesson on “Hastening the Work,” sharing a talk by S. Gifford Nelson.   I loved it.  Look it up!
Fidelis, an anglophone member took us a little behind his house to get a good look at the river.  Well, it wasn’t even like 2 minutes before we had left minor civilization and had entered complete jungle land.  It was like night and day.  No motos or cars, there was hardly a path for us to follow (but what was there was made out of cement that had been dumped in sacks and solidified) , tiny foot bridges with like 2 inches between the planks, and swamp land on either side of you for as far as the eye can see.  Even though we could barely even see the river, we had this incredible view of Mount Cameroon on the way back.  I’ll miss that mountain.  Look it up!
That same day, the power had gone off while we were gone and never came back on.  We basically didn’t sleep.  I rolled around in my sweat all night, only to finally get out of bed with the water gone, too.  It was horrible.  The worst part was the 2 kilos of meat that we had just gotten from the Gaileys the day before, which started to stink like rotting flesh.  Elder Gailey came to get it around 11, and then 10 minutes after he left the power came back on.  It’s so funny how demotivating something like that can be.  When you have an awful night’s sleep and then you have to go walk around all day, it’s really hard to convince yourself not to take a nap instead of studying or teaching.  It’s those days when you found out what kind of missionary you really are.  Diligence, or discouragement? Give it all or give it up?  I was happy to find that all of us still got up on time, did all our studies, and left on time to go do the Lord’s work!  There are certain blessings reserved for those days of diligence.  It’s funny, because ALL the next day we went from one ratez-vous to the next. 
Our first rendez-vous didn’t have a key to open her compound door for us.  Our second rendez-vous wasn’t there.  The third told us tomorrow.  The fourth had just left, the fifth wasn’t there, and the 6th didn’t feel good.  We took a break to call all the people whose numbers we had received the last couple of days, as well as call all our recent converts who were out of town.  After that, we called and found a friend of ours to teach, and THEN that special blessing I was talking about came.  We went to see an anglophone friend of a member, who told us about how she had been raised with religious parents who forced her to come to church, where she saw pastors who didn’t live what they preached, which made her resent church to the point where she had given up on church and just stayed home by herself to read the Bible on her own.  Then she said, “but ever since I met you missionaries and since I started reading this book, I only feel peace and joy and I’m happy!”  So we asked what she thought those feelings meant and she said she thinks it means the church is true!  It was the best thing in the whole entire world.  There is nothing like an investigator that teaches herself.  I am in love with this work.  I could be spit on, beaten, burned, screamed at and whipped, but as long as I get just one person to say what Lucia the anglophone told me on Thursday then I would do it over and over and over forever!
Friday was split day.  I went out with Elder Davis into his sector and we got to see a ton of people.  The complete opposite of the day before.  The first guy was a member principal over this large school where several members actually work and whose kids attend.  We went in to visit one of the members’ class of 3 year olds and there was a naked boy running around who had apparently pooped everywhere.  It was funny because you would never, ever, ever see that back home haha.  He was playing with the other kids and it was totally normal.  For them.  In the principal member’s office he had a quote that said, in French, “Act as if everything depended on you, but behave yourself knowing that everything comes from God.”—Saint Augustin. Just some food for thought!
One lady we met with asked us if they “plant” snow like vegetables.  I was stunned.  She asked if it got to South Africa because white people brought it from America.  I really didn’t know what to say, so we had a science lesson and now she is up to speed with the water cycle. 
We stopped in to see a brother who is suffering from malaria (EVERYone is suffering from malaria.  You got a cough? Malaria.  Your tooth hurts? Malaria.  You’re having weird dreams? Malaria, AND a prophecy).  He asked us for a blessing, and asked me to give it.  Since I’ve been here I’ve noticed that the more I give blessings, the more I become confident following the voice of the Spirit.  Every blessing is different, and sometimes I’m worried that I screwed up or didn’t say something I wish I would’ve said, but every time I know it’s what that person needed to hear at that time.  I don’t know how to explain it, but my palms are less sweaty and my hands and knees don’t shake anymore haha.
There was the most beautiful scene off the balcony of a member’s house that night.  The sky was blue on top, but the elongated clouds across the sky had an undercarriage of orange and pink.  Bats and birds were flying across the sunset back to their nocturnal homes.  Mount Cameroon was looming in the distance between banana and palm trees that lined the sherbert horizon.  In the backyard of the neighbor in front was a group of Douala natives singing and dancing and chanting in preparation for the huge Douala festival the first Sunday of Decemeber.  I wish I had taken a picture, but I’m pretty sure it will be frozen in my memory forever.  I hope so, anyway! It was the epitome of my experience here in Douala.
On Saturday we went to Fidelis’ to help him pull weeds and move dirt around, for which he generously gave us sugar cane, bouille (boiled corn flour that you have to add 6-10 sugar cubes to for it to be edible), and let us hunt coconuts that we took home to make milk out of. 
Then we taught a half conscious Gustave who was on his 4th day of fasting and had worked out that morning without drinking any water.  He was hardly comprehensible haha, but he’s gonna be ok.  Africa. 
We went to see our next rendez-vous who passed us as we were heading to his house, but we decided to go to his house anyway to say hi to his family (same family who told us about school punishments).  It was a good thing we did, because one of the sisters was really sick (malaria) and asked us for a blessing.  I got to do it again, but this time in French.  Same story as before.  Totally different blessing, but totally same Spirit.  Hopefully she gets better…I read a great talk by Elder Oaks about blessings and how it works.  I forget what it’s called, but it makes me feel less guilty if I give a belssing that doesn’t exactly go like I thought it would.  The will of God is something that everyone wishes he had slightly more control over haha.
Our last rendez-vous ended up teaching us about his philosophy on life, which is really Christ-like and all about service and not always accepting money for work he does and it would take an hour and a half to re-explain what he taught, but it was a beautiful way of living.  Very inspiring.  It was just a little hard to get focused when we first got there because he was playing a game on his computer where he was blowing up spiders with rocket launchers and machine guns, sooo yeah haha.  Africa.
Sunday was pretty great!  We had quite a lot of people at church.  Afterwards, one of the members invited us all over for burgers, rice and smoked pork, Pillsbury croissants, meat-filled beignets, homemade pineapple juice, and pineapple soaked in vanilla and lemon.  We probably ate at 1, and no one ate anything else the rest of the night.  They sent us off each with a sack of 5 more beignets.  It was the best meal I’ve head since…ever.  We learned that another member’s mom is 112 years old but didn’t get her national ID until she already had 6 kids.  Oh yeah she had 17 total.  Africa.
That brings us to today.  We went out and played soccer (another left footed, upper-right corner for this guy, to say nothing of the 29 missed shots, stack of horrible passes, etc…) and then the Gaileys came to give us transfer letters.  Elder Thibault has been here since April, so we all thought he was leaving.  Well guess what? He’s not, I am.  To CONGO.  To work with Elder Brockbank, who got here 3 transfers ago.  I’m filled with so many bittersweet feelings…no more speaking Douala, but I get to learn Kikongo.  No more guitar, but I heard there’s a sweet piano at the church.  No more soccer, but I guess they play basketball a lot.  I’m leaving a lot of people I’ve known for a long time, but I’m going down with Elder Morin and will probably get to see Elder Lundberg again.  New handshakes.  New French.  New people.  So many things that I won’t get to tell you about until I get there, which apprently is on Friday.  You can’t send packages there, so just send it to the same address I’ve given before and someone will bring it down to me if they ever come down from Cameroon.  I’m just working on accepting God’s will for me and trying to be excited about going to a new place. 
I hope you’re all having some sort of experience like that!  Once we learn to accept our situation (at least the ones we have absolutely no control over) and go with the flow, life becomes so much more carefree and easy to love.  So, just go with it!
 I love you all so much, you’re always in my thoughts and prayers.
Elder Garland 

No comments:

Post a Comment