Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Africa 3rd post :)

Africa 3rd post

Hi Mom, ( everyone!)

Things have quickly fallen into a rhythm here.  I teach 3-4 lessons a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, but we’re always out and about.  Elder Lafleur left our trio on Friday, so Elder Zurcher and I have finally started our companionship for real ! It’s kindof funny that I’ve just started my « first » transfer after already being here for over 2 weeks.  That alone is crazy to think about.  On Wednesday I will be starting my 8th week in the mission, including the MTC. What the heck.  Time isn’t flying by, it’s at warp speed, and I’m somehow keeping up.  I’m hardly that tired when I wake up at 6 :30, and when I go to bed at 10 :30 I always crash into bed.  Anyway, all that to say that I know that 2 years is a long time, but before I know I’ll be on the plane home. 

We went without water in our apartment for 5 days.  We had to go down to the shop next door to by a bunch of bottled water just to stay alive.  Otherwise, we were sweaty, sticky, smelly, and just gross for the whole time because there wasn’t even water to take a bucket shower and we weren’t going to waste what we had to drink.   It was tempting though ! Finally, we were sitting down at breakfast, just totally in the slumps, because the power had been shutting off too, when we heard the water start to spurt out the faucet in our bathroom (which we left on so that we would know when it came back on) and everyone shot out of their chairs and started hollering.  It was so funny.  We did white kid dances for a while in celebration. We filled up all our bottles and jugs and cans and anything that would hold water for the next time it shut off.  Takiing a shower was heaven.  I’ve never appreciated running water so much.

On Friday I had my first African rainfall ! At first it was kinda light, and all at once it just started pouring down, torrential sheets of huge raindrops.  We stood out on the balcony and put our arms over the edge just to get a taste.  Let’s just say it was delicious.  It ended a lot sooner than I had hoped, and then when we went into our study room, the rain had battered the open window and shot dirt all over the place, so everything in there got filthy.  Totally worth it though.

There’s this funny thing that Cameroonians do when they’re on the phone, which is just hanging up as soon as they’re done talking to you.  They don’t say bye, *click* ! So you’ll say something like, ok we’ll see you tomorrow ! And they’ll just hang up.  At first it seems kindof rude, and then you just laugh because you’ve been in the sun for too long and your brain has lowered the bar for anything funny.  Anyway, if I do that when I get back, that’s why.

I’ve been eating a lot of tasty snacks like pig feet, chicken bones, goat skin, and fish eyes.  I’m surprised I haven’t had the opportunity to eat insects yet.  I’m sure it will come.  Everything has been a lot more scrumptious than I thought it would be, so I’m thankful for that.  I just smile, grab a huge forkful, and shove it in my mouth, and I’m usually pleasantly surprised.  I’ll have to feed you all a typical Cameroonian dinner when I get back ! All we really need are the leftovers from what they sell in the store, haha.

Another funny thing that I’ve noticed lately is all the naked hobos walking around.  One day we saw 3 different guys, just walking around butt-naked.  Usually their hair is all matted and unkempt, but one time I saw a guy who was bald.  I feel so bad, but it’s just so ridiculous that you kindof laugh it off and try to erase the scar that’s been etched into your brain forever.   I’m just trying to imagine these people in the States.  The « law » here is very much not present.  I’ve seen the police maybe 3 times the whole time I’ve been here, and only once in an SUV.  Like I’ve said before, traffic laws are limited to (and not always followed) driving on the right side of the street and stopped at stop lights.  That’s it.  Anything goes, especially in round abouts.  There’s no such thing as « right of way. »  Please make me drive with someone who has a brake on their side too when I get back.  I might need some adjusting to civilized driving conduct.

I got to try my hand at translating for the first time on Sunday for our senior couple sister, Sister Gailey.  She’s so nice.  Elder Zurcher and I went to Relief Society to translate for her.  It was really hard, actually.  Some people talk a lot fast than others, and some people use a lot different vocabulary than others.  And sometimes you just have no idea how to translate something.  As soon as you open your mouth to translate something, whatever they’re currently saying gets lost as you’re talking.  I’m amazed at professional translators, but I would love to train my ears to listen as I’m talking.  Future career possibility… ?

I went with Elder Zurcher to buy a sanja, which you’ll see in the pictures I’m attaching.  Sorry I don’t send very many by the way, they’re just really big and take a long time to send.  I’ll try to send more though ! It’s beautiful, and I feel like a boss when I’m wearing it.  They usually wear them when they have a special occasion like a baptism, a wedding, funeral, or something like that.  The men tie it off on the right side, the women on the left.  There’s usually a shirt and hat they wear too, but I haven’t gotten one yet.  I’m sure I’ll come back in a complete bobo by the time I’m done with the Lord’s work here. 

I’ve been learning some more Douala, and now a bit of Bassa.  It’s so fun.  I wish I had a book to study from, but I just take notes as they teach and go from that.  I did have a Bible in Douala, but I just copied down the Lord’s prayer and I’m currently working on that.  Apparently I pronounce it very well !  You’ll hear it when I get back ;)

Oh snap, I almost forgot about soccer.  We finally got to play on Saturday, and it was just flat insane.  It was on a damp sand « field » with no lines, and the goals were about a foot higher than they were supposed to be.  But we still had a nice ball to kick around, and the field wasn’t even that bad to play on.  It was basically like turf without the little black things that stick to your socks and follow you back home and get into everything you ever owned.  Sand can be washed out.  Anyway, my team of about 22 elected me captain for some reason and put me in the center as number 10 usually plays, and gave me a captain band to wear on my arm.  I tried telling them I didn’t deserve it, but they insisted.  On one of the first plays, I missed a header by like a foot off the right post.  I stole the ball once and was one on one with the goalie, but when I stole the ball it was rolling too fast for me to get to it before the goalie, so we collied on the ball and I went flying face first and slid in the sand for a good while.  By this time people had been lining the field to watch, and everyone started cheering, it was so fun.  That’s about all I did the hour that I played.  The missionary who transfered in and took Elder Lavering’s spot said that the guys on the sideline were saying « le blanc joue ! » which means, the white kid can play !  I was very proud haha.  My companion is a baller too.  I was happy to play with him, and everyone was talking about how they were surprised that white people could play soccer.  Which is funny, because the way our team played was to kick the ball as far as you can every time you get it.  There was no middle play.  And everyone yells at each other.  In the second half, a fight broke out and all the voices dropped about two octaves and everyone was yelling and holding people back and it was just nutso, in the words of my companion.  All in all, I had a great time and I can wait to play again in two weeks.  We had this big fish barbecue afterwards, and then I got to go to a baptism for the other branch.  It was a very special experience.  I love it.  I can’t wait to have my own.  You’ll be sure to hear all about it !

We wanted to visit a chocolate factory here, but you have to type up a request to visit with your name, phone number, e mail address, objective and purpose for visiting, and all this stuff before they will let you come in.  It’s kindof silly.  Elder Zurcher said they had to do that in Congo to be able to play on a grass field, but when they wrote it out on paper they wouldn’t even accept it.  How ridiculous is that ?!  Anyway, we’re still gonna try.

That’s about all I have for you, and I’m sorry that I left all my notes at home.  I’ll try to bring it next time so I can catch you up again !

I love and pray for you all.  Please keep me in your prayers, I need them every day.  You’ll hear from me next week !

Elder Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment